CHRIS SUTTON’S PREDICTION
Newcastle were a bit fortunate on Sunday, when Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic slipped to miskick his penalty with the score at 0-0 before the Magpies nicked it late on.
It is things like that which make you think it is going to be their season, in terms of a top-four finish, especially when you consider how strong they are defensively.
This is another tough test for them, though. As I keep saying, Palace are impossible to predict – but they are generally a bit better when they take on the teams at the top of the table.
Newcastle will be without injured midfielder Bruno Guimaraes, who has been such a star for them, and they might have to settle for a point this time.
- Crystal Palace have won only two of their 11 Premier League home games against Newcastle (D4, L5).
- This will be a third meeting of the season between these two teams in all competitions – the previous two have finished goalless.
- Crystal Palace have one win in their past eight games in all competitions (D2, L5).
- The Eagles have earned 13 points from losing positions so far this season – only Tottenham have a better record, with 14.
- Palace have lost four league matches at home this season, equalling their record for the whole of 2021-22.
- Patrick Vieira’s side are on 23 points from their first 19 fixtures – exactly the same record as at this stage of each of the previous two campaigns.
- Wilfried Zaha could go seven consecutive league appearances without a goal for the first time since a run of 16 between 2019 and 2020.
- Newcastle are looking to set a club record of 15 top-flight matches without defeat (W9, D5).
- The Magpies have kept a clean sheet in each of their last five league games – their longest ever run.
- They have conceded just 11 goals, the fewest of any other team in the Premier League, while their 11 clean sheets is also the most in the division.
- Eddie Howe’s side have two wins and one draw from their three away league fixtures in London so far this season.
- Alexander Isak can become the first Newcastle player to score in four of his first five Premier League appearances.
- The Toon are without a win in the three league games that Bruno Guimaraes hasn’t featured in this season (D2, L1).
Predict Crystal Palace’s starting XI for their next fixture – remember you can change the formation!
Predict Newcastle’s starting XI for their next fixture – remember you can change the formation!
- Our coverage of your Premier League club is bigger and better than ever before – here’s everything you need to know to make sure you never miss a moment