Syracuse man broke into North Side home, scuffled with man before shooting him, authorities say

    Syracuse, N.Y. — Syracuse police say a man who was charged this week in a North Side murder case broke into the home, scuffled with the victim and shot him.

    Vladimir Fernandez, 24, of Syracuse, burst through a door into the home Saturday night at 212 Sunset Ave. and there was a scuffle, prosecutors said in court Wednesday.

    Fernandez fired at least one round from a 9mm handgun pistol, striking Tyus Ogletree, 27, at least once in the chest, police said.

    Fernandez was also shot during the incident but police and prosecutors have refused to release details about who shot him or how it happened.

    Fernandez was arrested Monday at the Public Safety Building after he was released from Upstate University Hospital, police said.

    Fernandez appeared in court Wednesday for a bail hearing. Fernandez, suffering from the gunshot wound to the leg, was brought into court in a wheelchair.

    Friends and family of Fernandez filed into the court. He is a lifelong resident of Syracuse with no prior convictions, said Kenneth Christopher, Fernandez’s attorney. He was working as a self-employed mechanic before his arrest, he said.

    A prosecutor said in court a witness told authorities that Ogletree was inside the house at 212 Sunset Avenue, with his girlfriend and her three young children on Saturday night.

    The witness said there was a loud knock on the door and someone burst through the door, the prosecutor said. The witness did not see what happened next, but heard a scuffle in the house, he said.

    Minutes later, the witness found Ogletree severely wounded in the kitchen of the home, the prosecutor said.

    Police responded to the 200 block of Sunset Avenue around 11:43 p.m. Saturday where they discovered the two men who had been shot.

    Fernandez was found lying in the street with a gunshot wound to his leg. Ogletree was was taken to Upstate University Hospital where he later died, they said.

    Fernandez was charged with second-degree murder, first-degree burglary and second-degree criminal possession of a weapon.

    Judge Gordon Cuffy set Fernandez’s bail at $500,000 cash, $1 million bond an $1.5 million partially secured bond. As of Wednesday afternoon, Fernandez was being held in the Justice center jail.

    Police ask anyone with information about the shooting to call (315) 442-5222.

    Staff writer Darian Stevenson covers breaking news, crime and public safety. Have a tip, a story idea, a question or a comment? You can reach her at [email protected]

    Recent Articles

    Related Stories

    Leave A Reply

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    Stay on op - Ge the daily news in your inbox